EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH – CERNATU
Cernatu was first attested in 1366 and it is mentioned under several designation, such as Cernatu or Sânmihaiu (Szentmihályfalva).
1427. The first ecclesiastic documentary mention of the parish and of the church in Sânmihaiu. This parish officiated in all the seven villages in1445. This area was the first parish community dedicated to Saint Archangel Michael.
1440. In the order regarding the settlement of the tithe, John Hunyadi mentions Saint Michael parish.
1445. It was around this year that the affiliates in Tărlungeni, Zizin and Purcăreni parted from Saint Michael parish.
1456. Saint Michael parish was newly mentioned in the edict of King Ladislaus V issued in Budapest.
1460. In the Beneficence Charter of King Matthias, Saint Michael parish is mentioned under the name of Tharnatfalu.
Between 1542 and 1544, the Hungarian community in Siebendörfen converted to the evangelical Lutheran religion, and prince John Sigismund, in the act of 1561 only mentions the locality as Cernatu, the name of Sânmihaiu was lost alongside the Catholic faith. Honterus’ Books of 1544 attest that the village did not only have a church, but also a school.
Between 1777 and 1778, under the pasturage of priest Máthé Márton, a new church was built in Cernatu (45,6175° N; 25,6875° E; 631 m), with a length of 40.13m and a width of 13.94m, in exchange for HUF 1,393 and 45 pennies; only the altar foundation was kept from the old church, which also had the year mentioned on it: “Anno Domini 1542”, probably from the second church, sanctified in the autumn of 1779. The pulpit was built by Pap János and Fejér Ilona in 1780; it was renovated in 1803. On June 21st 1795, someone set Péter István's on fire and the rectory, the school, the teacher’s house and the rectory, alongside 107 houses also burnt down. In 1796, they built a large stone house, to serve as rectory. On October 26th 1802, at 1pm, Cernatu was shaken by a large earthquake, and the damages could only be fixed in 1823.
The organ was donated by Lukács János and Simon Ilona in 1871
In 1881, demolished the rectory and built a new one in exchange for HUF 2,450.
In 1893, they demolished the 28m high belfry, and in 1894 they built a new stone belfry, with a height of 38.5m, above which the globe was installed on June 12th 1895. They melted the two old belfry bells and cast two new bells – one of 400kg and one of 210kg -, which tilled for the first time on July 19th 1895, in the afternoon.