EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH – BACIU
Its designation was first mentioned in a certificate issued in 1456, as an affiliate to Cernatu Village.
Baciu parted from the parish community in Cernatu in 1808 and became an individual parish, joined by 18-20 families in Turcheșu until 1886. In 1809 the rectory was built (45,6127° N; 25,6691° E; 655 m), and in 1811, under the pasturage of priest Sárai Mihály, the church was built (45,6126° N; 25,6688° E; 655 m). The organ and the altar were then built. The original pulpit dates as of 1911, whereas the crown above it dates since 1814.
The first organ was built between 1811 and 1813.
Unlike the other evangelical churches in Siebendörfen (Seven Villages), the organ is located in the gallery above the pulpit. A larger bell was cast in 1814.
The length of the 1815 sanctified church was of 27.42m, the width is of 12.16m, and the tower height reaches 29.49m. It does not belong to any specific architectural style.
In 1817, a 250kg large bell was installed in the belfry, while in 1830, the largest bell was the medium one, weighing 100kg. These two smaller bells were seized during World War I, being replaced by the 149kg bell in 1823.
In 1817, the annexes were also built next to the rectory: barn, oven, shed, stable.
In 1891, the church floor was restored and a new mortuary chapel was built.
On April 16th 1893, out of the donations of Borcsa Simon István and his wife, Szén Anna, a new organ was built, which cost HUF 1,200, a work carried out by artisan Sonkenik János. The old organ was donated to the church in Satulung-Suseni.
In 1909, the building works for a new rectory were initiated, and on April 21st 1910, it was announced that “under the coordination of the retired priest Borcsa Mihály, the church was enriched with a beautiful and very valuable altar painting, which is to be sanctified upon the opening of the new rectory, which is almost completed, as part of a beautiful ecclesiastic ceremony. […] This double ceremony will probably be held on the second Pentecost Day.”
The altar painting, work of painter Carl Heinrich Bloch, is 3m long, 2m wide and it depicts Jesus on the ship, on the banks of Ghenizaret Lake, preaching His teachings to the crowds gathered there.
In 1916, a stable and a shed were built in the rectory yard.
In 1916, it was connected to the electricity network. In 1925, the church and the rectory were renovated. Mártis Mihály built a new pulpit.
In 1979, the funeral hall was built, part of the Baciu Cemetery (45,6097° N; 25,6672° E; 710 m). On December 21st 2003, a memorial monument was erected as a tribute to the “Bloody Christmas” victims in Baciu.
Entwined congregations: 1990. Budapest-Csepel - Hungary Helsinki-Alppila - Finland Juankoski - Finland 2004. Fredrikstat - Norway 2010. Grabow - Germany