ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH IN TURCHEȘ
Before the reform, the gothic church of Sfântu Mihail parish was located in Cernatu, but between 1542 and 1544, under Honterus’ influence, the Csango minority in Săcele embraced the evangelical faith, and the Catholic religion was completely abolished for more than 200 years.
In the 18th century, the cholera and the plague decimated the Siebendörfen population several times, and the repeated devastations by foreigners dictated the need for the Székely minority to settle here. Hence, a large number of Roman Catholic Székelys reached Siebendörfen. By way of consequence, in 1750, the Jesuit priest Stäber Xavier Ferenc in Brașov was commissioned by the Archbishop in Esztergom to set up Turcheș priesthood. In 1751, Mária Terézia approved the erection of the church in Turcheș and the setup of the cemetery, and on Maundy Thursday, judge Seewald Kristóf in Brașov marked the church site with a cross (45,6117° N; 25,6750° E; 669 m).
In 1752, the first wooden church had already been erected on a hilltop, an in 1754 baron Sztoyka, Bishop of Transylvania, took over Turcheș from the Jesuits, placed it under his own jurisdiction and entrusted it to the Franciscans in Brașov, appointing Fekete Károly, as Brașov praesindens, Turcheș administrator.
In 1766, the chapel was lost to a storm. The masses were held in the rectory until 1770, when they built a new stone church, with the support of Bishop Batthyani, under the pasturage of priest Eresztevényi Ferenc. The church style is simple, with semi round windows and straight ceiling.
Father Pál Kálmán, who officiated here between 1881 and 1893, renovated the church and also built a funeral hall.
In 1913, on Easter Day, the two bells collided, and the small one fell. It was then that the previous wooden belfry was demolished a new stone belfry was built. The works were completed on June 22nd 1914. On the new pulpit, Kollár Gusztáv (Nyíregyháza (Mestecănești), March 25th 1879 – Brașov, November 17th 1970), teacher at the Roman Catholic Gymnasium in Brașov, painted the four evangelists. It was connected to electricity in 1920.
The church, which became what it is today in 1931, after complex renovations, has a capacity of 150-200 seats and three bells. Dimensions: 20.04m long; 10.47m wide; the belfry is 18.67m high.
After 1931, the main altar hosted Jesus’ statue, and after the pulpit was demolished, the statues of Jesus and Mary were placed in the two sided of the vestibule, whereas the new altar painting depicted Saint Archangel Michael.
In 1956, a side altar was built for Saint Anthony, for whom the youngsters commissioned statues of Saint Emeric and Saint Therese.
Between 1987 and 1989, upon the initiative of parson Gajdó Zoltán (Săsăuși, January 25th 1940 – Sfântu Gheorghe, February 8th 2013.), a youth hall was built in the rectory yard, called Márton Áron.
In 1993, the altar floor was covered in marble, a new altar table, lectern and candle holder were carved. The gas connection was performed on the same date.
In 2008, the interior and the electricity system were entirely renovated.